ABOUT THE COMPANY – DEPARTMENT OF BASIC EDUCATION
The Department of Basic Education deals with schools throughout South Africa, from Grade R to 12 and adult literacy programmes. The DBE was formerly part of the National Department of Education before it split into two: the DBE (Department of Basic Education) and DHE (Department of Higher Education)
The departments goal is to create a sustainable South African education system for the 21st century – one where all learners have access to learning, training and education. Their vision is that the education system will improve the quality of life for all South Africans and create a peaceful, prosperous and democratic country.
ABOUT THE BURSARY PROGRAMME – FIELDS COVERED
The Department of Education in South Africa, has a bursary programme for student teachers that require study funding – The Funza Lushaka Bursary Programme. The aim of this bursary award is to help financially disadvantages students who intend on studying in the Education sector, who will ultimately give back to the community by teaching at public schools.
Bursaries will be awarded for the following qualifications: Bachelor of Education (BEd) / Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE).
- Foundation Phase Teaching (Grades R-3): with preference for African Languages
- Intermediate and Senior Phase Teaching (Grades 4-9): majoring in any of the following 2 subjects: Mathematics/ Languages/ Technology/ Natural Science
- FET Phase Teaching (Grades 10-12): majoring in any of the following 2 subjects: Accounting/ Economics/ Mathematics/ Technical Mathematics/ Agricultural Sciences/ Physical Sciences/ Life Sciences/ Technical Science/ Geography/ Languages/ Agricultural Technology/ Civil Technology/ Information Technology/ Computer Applications Technology/ Electrical Technology/ Mechanical Technology/ Engineering Graphics and Design
MORE ABOUT THE BURSARY PROGRAMME – COVERAGE VALUE & SERVICE CONTRACT
The bursary covers the following expenses: tuition fees, food and accommodation, textbooks and study materials and allowance for general living expenses.
Please note: on completion of the teaching qualification, bursary applicants will be required to teach at a public school for the equal duration of their bursary.
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- South African citizen
- Be accepted into a suitable qualification, at one of the recognised tertiary institutions
- Must be able to show satisfactory academic capability
- Willing to teach at a school appointed to them by the Provincial Education Department
- A keen interest in working with children
- Clear criminal record
- NOT have any charges of misconduct or dismissed from work
- Preference will be given to applicants in rural areas and applicants who intend on teaching in rural areas
First time university entrants:
- Matric exemption/ endorsement/ bachelor degree admission
- Achieved a minimum of 60%/ level 4 (Standard Grade) OR 50% (Higher Grade) in Matric for subject you intend on specialising to teach
- If intending on specialising in Foundation Phase – must have passed Matric Mathematics or Mathematical Literacy AND a minimum of 60%/ level 4 (Standard Grade) OR 50% (Higher Grade) for your Home Language
- If intending on specialising in Technology subjects (including CAT) – must have passed Matric Mathematics or Mathematical Literacy
- If completed Matric before 2008 when Mathematics was not a compulsory subject – must have achieved a minimum average of 50%
Students currently at university:
- Passed all subjects in last year of tertiary study
- Achieved a minimum average of 55% for all subjects studied in last year of tertiary study
- Achieved a minimum average of 55% for subjects related to the teaching area of specialisation in last year of tertiary study
New students enrolling for PGCE:
- Completed a qualification that allows admission into PGCE
- For PGCE Foundation Phase Teaching – must have majored in an African Language and Psychology
- For PGCE Intermediate Phase, Senior Phase, Further Education and Training Teaching – must have majored in chosen area of specialisation from the B. degree
- Have a minimum of 2 selected priority subjects at 2nd year of study
- Have enough subjects in the selected priority subjects to qualify to teach at school
- Achieved a minimum average of 50% across all subjects
- Passed a minimum of two-thirds of subjects studied in the most recent year of university study
- Passed a minimum of two-thirds of priority subjects in the most recent year of Higher Education study
- If doing 1 priority subject – must have passed the subject
- Progressing to the next year of study
Note: if the university requirements are higher than the Funza Lushaka Bursary requirements, the higher requirement will apply.
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE BURSARY
Please follow these instructions to apply:
1) Visit the e-Government Portal website at: www.eservices.gov.za
2) Register an account by filling in your personal information
3) Login using your selected username and password
4) Select the “Funza Lushaka Bursary Scheme” on the e-Services Menu
5) Insert the OTP you received
6) Read and accept the Terms and Conditions
7) Click on the 2019 application button on the dashboard
8) Fill in the required information
9) Read and accept the declaration to confirm your information
Please ensure that you have read the Funza Lushaka Bursary Information (.pdf) before applying.
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your completed application form (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application be disregarded):
- ID document (certified copy)
- Latest Matric results, if currently in Matric (certified copy)
- Matric certificate, if completed Matric (certified copy)
- Academic transcript, if currently at university (certified copy)
- Proof of acceptance/ registration at university
New applications – 11 January 2019.
Re-applications – 16 November 2018.
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)